19696 Posts in 3274 Topics - by 6448 Members - Latest Member: Crytex9

Author Topic: Pob Heavy Industries  (Read 13654 times)

Pob

• View Profile
Re: Pob Heavy Industries
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
Here we go

I'm still not 100% happy with the front blade bit and so save time I just copied over your engine pontoons
I've left it up to you to paint it you can find it in my dropbox.

Ohm is Futile

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »
Cool! I'll take a look around, give it a paint job and stick it in the collection with due credits.

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 03:25:46 AM »
Another couple of new ships coming, sneak peek

After active testing the Mule while looking nice isn't that functional, the Bee however is very functional, so to make a better cargo freighter?
Make a bigger Bee, stick a cargo hold in the middle and we have the new MegaBee.
Spoiler: animated gif • show

Projected cost
$630,472
Iron 7,200
Naonite 1,916
Trinium 34,643
Xanion 32,600

Still not BIG enough?  Don't worry we here at Pob heavy industries have you covered, with generous application of our new motivational-electrified-pokey-sticktm the design team has come up with the GigaBee
Spoiler: animated gif • show

When asked to comment on the new design our head designer said this:
"Please stop shouting BIGGER at me, please!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:53:21 AM by Pob »

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 04:25:25 AM »
Hi Pob

Thanx for the stripped down version ... of the Rhino and the other one.
I have a suggestion.  If you were to move the thrusters on either ship to the extreme corners (away from "centre of mass" where practical), pound for pound, your stats may be enhanced ... (Maybe ?)  Lemme know how it turns out.  GL :P

For a pictorial of what I mean, maybe check out my stripped downs and my thruster placement(s).
http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2539.msg13054.html#msg13054

I hope dis helps

Cheers :)
My posted ship designs:  Argento, Arrius, Aegoran, and the Jackal
http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2539.0.html

Ohm is Futile

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 04:42:30 AM »
Hi Pob

Thanx for the stripped down version ... of the Rhino and the other one.
I have a suggestion.  If you were to move the thrusters on either ship to the extreme corners (away from "centre of mass" where practical), pound for pound, your stats may be enhanced ... (Maybe ?)  Lemme know how it turns out.  GL :P

For a pictorial of what I mean, maybe check out my stripped downs and my thruster placement(s).
http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2539.msg13054.html#msg13054

I hope dis helps

Cheers :)
From your post, I get the feeling that you're using the stable branch, which makes all of this a bit awkward because the mechanics changed significantly. But yes, in theory, the further the better (but can make things a bit awkward).

If you want tips regarding thruster placement, I listed the best positions for each axis:
As a rule of thumb:
Yaw: mirrored forward-facing thrusters placed in-line with the center of mass on the sides as far as possible. Also possible is side-facing thrusters placed in-line with the center of mass from the front or back. Again, the farther, the better.
Pitch: up-down facing thrusters placed in-line with the center of mass from the front or back. Forward-facing thrusters in-line with the center of mass from the top of bottom.
Roll: up-down facing thrusters placed in-line with the center of mass from the sides. Side-facing thrusters placed in-line with the center of mass from the top or bottom.

Ironically, I was answering you in that post, too. Anyways, for example, looking at your ships:
Argento: good placement in general.
Audax: wastes a bit of rotation potential with some thrusters closer to the core. The same applies to almost every other ship.

Anyways, I'm probably going to make a videos on ship design (not for the aesthetics, lol) to get the most functionality and just generally make the experience more enjoyable and efficient.

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 06:25:21 AM »
Heya Ohm

From your post above - regarding the Audax, agreed - but those thrusters i think you are referring to are my brake thrust thrusters, so I have those on a stubby pod near the centre.

Generally, I specialize thrusters - trying to place em as well as I can - but its does not show well in the pic.
Side thrusters
Up/Down thrusters and
Brake Thrusters.
In the version I have, I am still using slices (but again, in the pics, it was early in the build, so I had not slabbed them by the time of the picture).

I am hoping I am correct in my thinking.
In any case, I appreciate the insight you have shared. :)

(To see the pictures Ohm and I are referring to ... see:
http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2539.msg13054.html#msg13054 )

Cheerio
 ;D
My posted ship designs:  Argento, Arrius, Aegoran, and the Jackal
http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2539.0.html

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
Well it's live now and quite a few people are going to have to learn the new mechanics and devote more time and mass to thrusters now.
I've also spotted some odd mechanics with the directional thrusters I think depth might be more important than volume, ie, we'll go from slab to stick thrusters.
 I need to do some testing to see if I'm right or not.

EDIT testing done in the latest beta 0.11.7677 and I was wrong, it's volume and placement that's important.
For the best pitch and yaw numbers you want a cross shaped ship with directional thrusters pointing front/back on the ends of the cross.
I have an idea for a heavy cruiser which will look a little odd but will perform very well
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:13:33 PM by Pob »

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
Well as I've re-installed the game, because I was having some stability issues, I've started again which means some low tier ships.

With that I've added my new starter ship, the Gnat-102, there is a 101 it was 1/3 the size and just too small, 102 is basically the same just rebuilt larger.

I did back up my old ships and galaxies so there is other stuff on the way. ;)

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 05:52:03 AM »
Sneak peek at the new MFF-201, although it's not very multi-function

Cost is around
$200k
iron 5k
Titanium 6k
naonite 15k

Naonite internals with a smallish iron inertial damper, with Titanium skin, engines and thrusters, I've taken care with the thrusters placement for decent numbers and everything is very easy to access.
The skin is all hull blocks except for the nose which is armour and covers the crew quarters (hardest part to access)
The thrusters are exposed for direct access, although not obvious due to blocks covering their ports
The internals have access via a thin strip of framework on the top and bottom and lets the glow be seen.
Finally their are multiple small integrity field generators exposed on the outside of the hull (I pinched that idea from
Ohm is Futile ;) )

Here is a thruster pod showing the layout

All the coloured blocks are directional thrusters.
The red block is left/right
The green block is up/down
and the two blue blocks are front/back
The yaw was weak so I did add a small titanium gyro, it's the base block of the bridge on top of the hull, you can just see the edge of the bridge in that image.

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:19 AM »
MF-201 finalised, I'm really happy with how it's come out although I think I might of gone a bit overboard on the shields, maybe reduce them slightly and fill the space with some hyperspace cores?

Wilponderoci

• one fish two fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 04:06:00 AM »
Your ships look more like mine  8)

Maybe I'll post some ;)

Really nice design's pob!

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”

19MT70

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
Lol Pob that ship is *exactly* the type I was working on before I got in the semi for this week of work. I was building a lower tier ship with at least 4 slots that's fast, maneuverable and has decent shields to use primarily for sector searching in higher tier areas for secret stashes and claimable asteroids. The only thing I'd need to add to yours to fit my desires would be hyperspace cores to extend the base range.

19MT70

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
MF-201 finalised, I'm really happy with how it's come out although I think I might of gone a bit overboard on the shields, maybe reduce them slightly and fill the space with some hyperspace cores?

Nah, leave the shields if you can and sneak the cores on as an outside layer somewhere and move the armor on top of it.

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 04:38:36 AM »
Question: What do people think of the Bee series designs?
I've made a new Bee-103, only using Naonite & Titanium although the total cost is nearly double that of the Bee-102
It's got a hyperspace core, a big chunk of the cost, so it can follow along and scrap/mine, they are meant to be drone's that's why I named the series Bee.
Only issue is that I'm not that happy with the look and I'm thinking of a total redesign.
Yes they are cube's but I tried to make them interesting cubes.

Pob

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
New in the MFF-202

Same as the mff-201 however I've replaced the hull blocks with armour and added a hyperspace cube, it's range is only 6 but I find that enough for the Naonite stage and can always add an upgrade for more if needed.
Hard points are 2x  single gun under the nose (up to 0.5 size), 1x double small (it should just fit two 0.3 weapons) on the tip of the nose and 1x tripple block on the top (big enough for 3x 0.5 side by side)