20463 Posts in 3435 Topics - by 6848 Members - Latest Member: ninjastryk

Author Topic: How to Backup saves?  (Read 221 times)

MoronicCinamun

• View Profile
How to Backup saves?
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »
First let me start with a sorry if there is already a thread about this, I used search and found nothing useful. The search is kind of abysmal, searing "how to backup" and it highlights every instance of the word "to", even within other words; the word "how" in "show", etc.

I see people talk about backing up their save/galaxy (I guess it's the same thing? I could use confirmation). Is it as simple as going to %appdata% and making a copy of the galaxy? I just want to start doing this and making sure I'm doing it right, after a crash that caused an improper save corrupted it beyond all repair.

thedamngod

• Who is this guy anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: How to Backup saves?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
Is it as simple as going to %appdata% and making a copy of the galaxy?

Yes, that's it :)
FAQ    Infos for bug reports

Want a post moved, locked, deleted? Think something is wrong or not appropriate? Then use the "Report to moderator" button

Russak

• View Profile
Re: How to Backup saves?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
After a lot of thrashing around in Explorer (or whatever W10 calls it these days) I wondered if a more complete path might help someone else find where the Galaxies are saved (at least on my machine)...

[Drive]\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\%galaxyname%

%user% is a placeholder for the user name you're logged on as.
AppData is a hidden folder so you'll need to be showing hidden items to be able to see it.
%galaxyname% is a placeholder for the name of the galaxy as you set it up in the creation dialog in-game.

I assume you have to make a copy of the whole subfolder tree to back up the selected galaxy (or a copy of the whole ...\galaxies\... subfolder tree if you want to make a copy of every galaxy you've created that still exists).