21185 Posts in 3575 Topics - by 7368 Members - Latest Member: NeoAva

Author Topic: Offline ships can be pushed through gates (in neutral sectors)  (Read 414 times)

Devious

• View Profile
    • Rusty's Galaxies and Community
Title says enough, players can still kill another player in neutral sectors by pushing him through a gate while he is offline. This makes the neutral sectors quite useless as they still can be used to grief.
It happens quite often on our server and is very hard to control due to the absence of death/pvp logs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:55:17 PM by Devious »

bowenq

• View Profile
Re: Offline ships can be pushed through gates in a neutral sector
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
Haven't played multiplayer yet, but player ship will remain in the space even when the player goes offline? That doesn't make sense at all.

Devious

• View Profile
    • Rusty's Galaxies and Community
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
Yeah they do..

We've luckily developed a mod that protects players ships against PvP damage or on logoff to stop the griefer but either way it's a nasty mechanic because the griefer doesn't even earn anything from it besides being able to salvage the ship.

DoorsMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
I had the same problem before (and posted about it before, too). I lost 3 freighters, 2 cruisers, 1 battleship and 3 stations because of this crap. What I usually do now is build asteroid like ships and block gates.
If I had access to the server, I'd mod the neutral sector generator script and remove the gates spawning script.

Shrooblord

• View Profile
Re: Offline ships can be pushed through gates (in neutral sectors)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »
Haha you block the Gates with asteroids? That sounds hilarious. What if you warp into the Sector through a Gate? Do you get crushed by asteroids instantly? lol

But in all seriousness, yes, griefing is terrible and should be preventable, especially when it's this kind of thing. I agree that player ships should not be able to be pushed through Gates while offline. Even if you have a no-damage mod on your server like you mentioned, Devious, it still means players can grief others by disorienting them and putting their ships in different places than they're supposed to be.

I like the persistence of player ships while they're offline: ships are not ghosts - it makes no sense that they'd just disappear when the players log off; this is a persistent universe and stuff happens while you're not around. In RP / canon: your ship's Captain (you, the player) goes to sleep / hibernation and leaves the ship dormant.

But perhaps something else can be done: offline player ships could be hidden in or near asteroids, or somehow disguised or safe-guarded with a no-touch Upgrade or something to counteract the griefing.

That, and, as you also mentioned, Devious, there should be death / pvp logs available.
Shrooblord

Pyrax

• View Profile
Re: Offline ships can be pushed through gates (in neutral sectors)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:22:44 AM »
I do agree this should be fixed, however in the meantime just find yourself a neutral zone with no gates. I usually find a couple on my way to the center without even looking...