21263 Posts in 3600 Topics - by 7451 Members - Latest Member: Angrypuffin

Author Topic: Intricacies of Research Stations  (Read 425 times)

bagaznal

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Intricacies of Research Stations
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
So, I've been sitting here wondering for awhile now how everything in the Research Station works beyond the simple "place 3 + items and get a rarer one."

Question 1:

Does the location of the Research Station change the result of the module / turret?

Question 2:

Does the items used change the outputs stats? AKA Low Damage Turret + High Damage Turrets = Middle Damage Turret?

Question 3:

Does your faction alignment change the outcome?

Question 4:

What happens when you substitute lower tier items in place for rarer ones? (4 rare and then a green, for example.)

bagaznal

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Intricacies of Research Stations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
Okay, so I did a few things last night and got a good array of info, but most of it didn't pretail to any of my questions.

The first thing I learned is that modules AND turrets research item output is based on what you put in. Lets say you put in 2 shield modules and 2 velocity modules, that means you have 40% chance to get a shield module, a 40% chance to get a velocity module, and then a 20% chance for it to fail. If it fails, it then does the same calculation except for guaranteed success: AKA theres a 50% chance on it being a velocity module and a 50% chance it will be a shield module. So by putting all of the same modules in to research, it will ALWAYS give you the same type of module.

Stats are bargained for in a similar way. A High Damage Turret + a Low Damage Turret does indeed = a mid damage turret. Stats such as material are also decided at this stage, in a similar way as modules; if you have 2 iron and 2 titanium lasers and combine them, it has an equal chance to be either titanium or iron. Also just like modules, if you mix up turrets, the chance of you getting a specific result IS proportional to what you put in, so if you use all chain guns, you're guaranteed another chaingun. But if you do say 4 chainguns and a laser, you have an 80% for a chaingun and a 20% chance for a laser.

I also did some testing with different tier items in research as well. The way it works is as follows: If the tier of one item is higher than all the other ones, then it substantially increases the chance it upgrades. If the tier of one item is lower than all the other ones, it will still increase the research chance, but only by a small amount (not sure about exact values yet.) Keep in mind however, that all of the above rules STILL apply.