20897 Posts in 3507 Topics - by 7110 Members - Latest Member: twodkyle

Author Topic: [ Dutch ] Translation Review Requested  (Read 48 times)

Shrooblord

• View Profile
[ Dutch ] Translation Review Requested
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:09 AM »
Hi there,

Being a bilingual Dutch-English native speaker, I've looked at and translated a big chunk of the strings listed in the translation project. Please review them and tell me what you think and where improvement is needed.

Some terms are surprisingly hard to find a good translation for, and it happens to the silliest words and phrases. Like "Turret Slots" for the life of me is untranslatable, or if you try to literally translate it, will sound very hacky and anglicised, so I changed it to "Plaats voor Torens" instead. I hope that makes sense.

I also ran into a problem with this specific key, which quotes as being used as
of the ${title} ${name}   as in: you're talking to the system' of the Shipyard Luna41'
, but in Dutch you can't translate that into a single phrase, because depending on what exactly the word is that gets inserted into ${title}, you need to use either the article "de" or "het"... so there's no single translation, unfortunately, and choosing one means ${title}s using the other article will look really stupidly out of place.
So I chose to go with the safe bet, and add no article. So the translation of
of the ${title} ${name}
is now
van ${title} ${name}
, which if translated back, semantically means
of ${title} ${name}
. I need to test in-game if this works, or if that messes up the grammar even more than "just choosing one article and rolling with it when the wrong one gets applied" depending on the value for ${title}.

I ran into a similar problem with this entry. This one, however, cannot be avoided by omitting an article. So I stuck with "het" for now, as the example state "the Freighter" which would be "het Vrachtschip" so I'm hoping there are no "de" words that will be inserted as ${title} wherever this is used in-game. But really we need a better way to handle this, for example include "de" and "het" in de ${title}s themselves rather than in these kinds of entries, where it's unknown what the nature of ${title} will be.

I've gone through 11 out of the 73 50-entry pages now. I think I'm done for today, and also I want to play some more of the actual game myself lest I be even more spoilt about discussions regarding these mysterious Xsotan and whatever is at the Galactic Core...

Please discuss any further remarks here!

Shrooblord
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:10:05 PM by Shrooblord »
Shrooblord

Shrooblord

• View Profile
Re: [ Dutch ] Translation Review Requested
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:22 PM »
I switched to a 100-item per page view and now have processed up to and including page 11. 28 more pages remain.
Shrooblord