24306 Posts in 4093 Topics - by 8849 Members - Latest Member: sambajorgeluis

Author Topic: News: Combat Update  (Read 2576 times)

Fenrir

• View Profile
Re: News: Combat Update
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »
Can we expect changes in the collision mechanics soon? Since ramming other ships is a part of battle for some players.
Currently there is no logic about taking damage, you can collide on a high speed, even spin after this for a while but take no damage. Or easilly crash from a slight hit.

I would suggest the following:
Sepperate Collision to 3 categories:
Environment (Asteroids & small Ship Debris )
Ships
Stations

And then two options per category:
dmg scale (current option)
max dmg % (example: @50% setting = A ship with 500 Live can only take 250 dmg in one collision (based on max live))

Maybe one extra option: Only destroy unconnected blocks (that means like in the safe mode of building the founders block can only be destroyed last)

Rinart73

• Discord: Rinart73#7304
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Sepperate Collision to 3 categories:
It's not about categories of entities that you collide, it's about calculations. Current collision damage detection is not good. Slight touch can destroy the ship, but on the same time sometimes you collide on a full speed with no damage.

I can imagine that detecting and calculating power of two complex 3d shapes collision is hard. I just saying that it would be good to see more steps done in this direction.

Morbo513

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
I agree that changes to turret mechanics would be nice. You're already plenty limited by how many crew you can accommodate imo.

enthnal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
My requests, less about balance more about appearance.
  • Make combat blocks, turrets can go inside them in the menu and are limited by size of the block. the weapon would then fire from the block's location. ie Laser weapons could look like phasers coming from the hull of a ship instead of from a small barnacle.
  • Make turrets be able to be customized like how fighters are now, one design for the base and one design for the moving arm.

Sir Charles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 03:07:06 AM »
A question came in my mind just now:
Will the boarding of ships be implemented with the combat update? It would be so cool to take enemy ships and get those ressources...

Torpedoes sound like the perfect oppuortunity to implement this since boarding torpedoes would be a realistic way of getting your crewmen to the other ship...
Gruß Karl

Alanthier

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 04:55:32 AM »
Agreed. Right now it is best to have all turrets in on section of your ship, facing the same direction, so you can maximize firepower, reazon being low turret count. If we can have Mini-Turrets - ship can get almost full-sphere coverage and still have some concentrated firepower. Maybe make their size to be random and take different amount of slots? Like ship has 40 slots, smallest take 1 slot, biggest around 10-20. This way we can have capital firepower with PD added on top.

what we need, is more system slots and/or specialized slots to allow multiple turret modules per rank of ship size(as opposed to 1 slot = 1 ship rank processing size), otherwise you'll never have enough fire power.

Romual

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:59 AM »
Well, if I understand you correctly - you're mistaken. Only the most basic turret modules give you 1 turret slot. Most of them quickly get to 2-3 turrets per module. If you get your hands on quest loot you can get to 4-5 turret slots per module, and that is FAR above 1 turret per ship rank processing size.

AikawaKizuna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
Any news about this update? Been long when this posted. ::)

Charless

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
Agreed. Right now it is best to have all turrets in on section of your ship, facing the same direction, so you can maximize firepower, reazon being low turret count. If we can have Mini-Turrets - ship can get almost full-sphere coverage and still have some concentrated firepower. Maybe make their size to be random and take different amount of slots? Like ship has 40 slots, smallest take 1 slot, biggest around 10-20. This way we can have capital firepower with PD added on top.

what we need, is more system slots and/or specialized slots to allow multiple turret modules per rank of ship size(as opposed to 1 slot = 1 ship rank processing size), otherwise you'll never have enough fire power.

I'd say PD weapons should be able to fit say for Chain guns, with very low damage, four per turret slot. Missile CIWS 1 per slot and flack: two per slot

Wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
I dont think that the big issue is the turret usage/slot, but how pd is going to handle with the 3+ dodges/min. If it negotiates that, they should use at least 1 turret slot but if it doesnt, then you should be able to fit 2 or 3/turret slot. Honestly i dont think new weapons need to be added, but that you should be able to have ind. Targ. Weapons with the order "attack fighters" or make it a stat just like ind. Targ. Is, but why make completely new weapons? Its a lot of work i imagine but the difference in what's added isn't that big.

Mattoropael

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
I dont think that the big issue is the turret usage/slot, but how pd is going to handle with the 3+ dodges/min. If it negotiates that, they should use at least 1 turret slot but if it doesnt, then you should be able to fit 2 or 3/turret slot. Honestly i dont think new weapons need to be added, but that you should be able to have ind. Targ. Weapons with the order "attack fighters" or make it a stat just like ind. Targ. Is, but why make completely new weapons? Its a lot of work i imagine but the difference in what's added isn't that big.

By not requiring a direct hit to deal damage (rockets and cannons do despite having AoE), a flak gun can use up those guaranteed dodges easily and start rapidly rolling the percentage dodges. And since fighters have laughable health they'd pretty much die as soon as they fail a dodge roll.

That is assuming the new PD weapon actually functions like flak and does not have other unique feature regarding dodges, of course.

Ravien

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
My ideas for possible point defense and anti-fighter weapons:

Point Defense Cannon:
High rate of fire. Good accuracy. Moderate range. High tracking speed. Basically a more accurate, faster firing chaingun.
Works by using up dodges of individual fighters through sheer number of bullets, eventually destroying them.
Good for destroying fighters directly attacking you as they fly straight at you.

Point Defense Laser:
Instead of a continuous beam, it's a pulse firing laser. Highly accurate. Low damage, but the high accuracy means that unless the fighter dodges, it will eventually get hit. Low range. High tracking speed. Good for destroying individual fighters. Uses energy and if left on too long you'll need to shut it down to cool down.

Flak cannon:
Fires flak that explodes in an AOE in proximity to enemy fighters. Moderate range. Deals very little damage but cannot be dodged. Good for slowly destroying large groups of fighters. Low tracking speed. Overheats.

Anti Fighter Missiles:
Long range. Fast missiles that have a 100% chance to hit fighters, unless the fighter performs a dodge. Good at taking out fighters that are attacking other ships.

All of these weapons would have independent targeting built in, of course. Balance them properly so that you can't just destroy fighters without giving the owning carrier a chance to respond with counterplay.

necromenta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
how many time are we going to wait?

Ravien

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 03:20:18 AM »
how many time are we going to wait?

They hinted that it might be on the beta branch this week but like with anything no promises!

Ravien

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:58 AM »
Looks like beta branch tomorrow