25718 Posts in 4319 Topics - by 9432 Members - Latest Member: haddleas51

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The paint job and glowy bits are exceptional
Bugs / Re: Guns not working against XWG
« Last post by BlackAce21 on April 26, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
Further update and testing is showing this is actually happening on every single instance of the boss =\ I have done him about 4 times so far on our server and I can't get a railgun or a lightning turret to hit him.
I thought it quite an interesting little story made up by the devs.  And to think your just a person who suddenly appeared in the galaxy hundreds of years after the event with the Xsotan actually happened. I do think you should be able to donate to them it would be amazing work by the devs if they even added an ability to rebuild their fleet.
Mods / Re: [Mod] Detailed Turret Tooltips
« Last post by lyravega on April 26, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »
Love the mod however, any chance of adding stats for torpedoes? I know this is a beta feature but still, would be nice to know what I'm dealing with when using torpedoes.

Check this post by Raio_Verusia, he provided a small snippet in the meanwhile.

I guess this mod would need a complete rewrite now that update added dps in tooltips. What devs didn't add though is "dps per slot". Even if you find an awesome turret with 3000 dps with 4 slots, it is worse than 2 turrets of 2000 dps and 2 slots each.

From what I can tell, turret slots are more of a static value, and also a balancing factor for the devs. The more slots that a turret has, the more damage it deals and the higher reach it has. Everything related to the slots are already included in the calculations though. "DPS per slot" could be useful to decide what turret has highest DPS per slot though, I'll keep that in mind when I'm updating the mod.

The official turret tooltip is still not offering separate shield/hull DPS for weapons with shield/hull bonuses, or effective DPS for overheating weapons either.

Actually, the official tooltips show eDPS now. For like 95% of the weapons I checked out (thank you, debug menu), I'm proud to say that my calculations were right on spot. I'm also glad that developers chose to calculate eDPS off of a full cycle as well. However, there are some weird stuff going on which I'm trying to figure out. Such as this, the vanilla tooltip is reporting a DPS of 2218 while my calculations report a DPS of 554.5, and there is a pattern to this issue.

Certain weapons with "Independent Targeting" (such as Railguns and Bolters) multiply their DPS with their weapon count for some reason, and I think it is a bug for the vanilla. The screenshot I linked for example, it is a quad turret; it has 4 weapons and if you multiply my result with 4, you get the vanilla tooltip's result. But I bet it is a bug.

Also, the vanilla "Time until overheated" and "Cooling time" are still inaccurate. What I don't understand is, for a weapon like this for example, the difference between "time until overheated" and my "(Heat) Buildup" is quite different, yet the eDPS result is the same. There should've been a variance, because that difference is enough to push the vanilla eDPS to a much higher value. I think vanilla eDPS does its calculations like I do but for some reason it shows the wrong "time until overheated" values? Dunno, I never trusted that value and did things the hard way anyway :)

As for an official word on this mod, an update is coming, slowly. Since there are many changes, and additions, I'm trying to double check everything, go over my calculations and stuff which is taking time, but to be honest, it takes more time than usual because as my interest has shifted to other games. Still, don't just want to slap the torpedo additions and release an update, and then realize there is a bug that I could've avoided. I don't want to force people visiting this topic daily to see if there is an update, so to speak. If they add Steam Workshop support someday, I'll go with it, but as long as we're doing things on the forums, I'd rather avoid uploading updates as soon as I finish one.

When I have spare time, and not playing another game, I try to work on it. Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not to alter the way the tooltip looks, and leaning on something like a table to display the values and avoid adding more lines on top of more lines. But a table-like look with multiple rows & columns might not look that great, so a bit on the fence about it. Nevertheless, have been trying to learn more about the UI for that case.
Creations / Re: Trek Ships
« Last post by Kamo on April 26, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
Very good ships ! They also make for realy good mini-buses, especially the Miranda :). Pirates will like the generous cargo holds.
After reaching the final destination to which I was led to by the series of beacons, I found the poor descendants that were left stranded near the edge of the galaxy.

I felt very sorry for them, especially for the fact that the ships were simply wreckages and there wasn't even a station built out of the wreckages. In the distance there happened to be a planet that could have been colonised. It was even worse for the fact that you can salvage the wreckages and they don't respond to this act.

It was good to hear the story from the descendants but I was disappointed I could not offer to help, either by building stations for them or donating resources; surely those colony ships they'd come in had at least basic manufacturing systems for when they'd find a suitable place to settle again...

I would like to know what other people who completed the series thought of the story and this final exchange between the player and the descendants.
Gameplay Discussion / Re: Strange goods and goods mechanics...
« Last post by Gontarekt on April 26, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
Yeah I agree with most of this, the space cops also are very unforgiving.
Gameplay Discussion / Strange goods and goods mechanics...
« Last post by Speed on April 26, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
Anyone find it absolutely ludicrous that the space cops will pull you over for carrying a couple canisters of elemental chlorine?! In real life, anyone can make chlorine in their kitchen at home (NOT ADVISABLE THOUGH).

So, we're flying huge frickin spaceships with frickin laser beams attached to their heads, giant railguns and cannons that could probably devastate a planet's surface, etc.   So, when the space cops scan me, are they worried about my torpedo hold filled with torpedoes armed with the most explosive substance in the UNIVERSE (antimatter)? NOPE!  It's the CHLORINE that makes them worried!

Containment failure on chlorine- let the ships environmental scrubbers clean it up.  Containment failure on antimatter?  Good-bye ship!!!!! (And anything you also happened to be near, but hey, at least death will come instantly).

Also, doesn't it seem odd that in the distant future there are so many cow and sheep and wool farms, etc?  Seems a little... primitive.  I mean, I can see there maybe being a small demand in a space-based culture for traditional pastoral products, but they will get replaced with things that can be grown more easily and efficiently in space. 
Gameplay Discussion / Re: Thrusters vs Gyro arrays for various ship sizes
« Last post by Speed on April 26, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »
My point is, you can replace those grid thrusters with a single Gyro, and you'd probably get ~5 times the Roll speed. That, or you could break it into half the Gyro and another half as the thrusters placed on the engine sections, which would provide more balanced stats.
Oh, I understand your point now.  However, your point is wrong because you misunderstand my intent.  The gridded thrusters are NOT MEANT to provide roll (not really) they are for pitch and yaw and side-slip (strafing).  My point is, because I make them gridded instead of a single block, they provide me with roll authority as a free benefit.  So now, a thruster that is meant to provide pitch, yaw, and stafing ALSO provides roll as well, for free. Because my roll authority is provided for free by gridding my centerline pitch/yaw/strafing thrusters, I don't need to add a gyro to provide roll.  I can use the volume that would have gone towards a gyro block for something else, like shields.  So gridded thrusters are superior to ungridded thrusters (when they are on the ship's centerline) because they are a more efficient use of blocks.

Black surfaces also absorb heat better, so its kind of counter-productive ;) Given the distances in space, visual detection would be irrelevant, as it would be much easier to find ships via infra-red emission (heat signature).

I agree that real space combat would take place VASTLY beyond visual range, but this is Avorion, where space combat unrealistically takes place within a few km.

By painting yourself black, you don't increase your heat emission. You simply decrease your equilibrium temperature.  All objects in space at thermal equilibrium will be emitting as much heat as they are absorbing (and generating).  A reflective vessel simply needs to be at a higher temperature to emit the same amount of IR radiation as a dark vessel.  The amount of IR emission will be the same because energy in will equal energy out.

Additionally, the black body equilibrium temperature in space is very low; right now, 13.8 billion years after the Big Bang, it's dropped to about 3 degrees K in intergalactic space.  In interstellar space, it's a bit higher (not sure exactly, I forgot the number) but it's probably like 5 K or something like that, depending on the stellar neighborhood you are in.  VERY close to a star, it's a lot higher, obviously, but that's only a really tiny portion of the space in a galaxy.  That said, it could be argued that space combat might happen close to stars sometimes...

Actually, wouldn't a reflective body have a higher equilibrium temperature in all environments?  It just takes longer to reach its equilibrium?  So maybe you'd paint your spacecraft white if you wanted to minimize the amount of damage it took from nuclear or antimatter explosions (which would create brief flashes of VERY bright light in the visible spectrum).
Mods / Re: [Mod] Detailed Turret Tooltips
« Last post by Raio_Verusia on April 26, 2018, 04:55:01 AM »
This is for anyone missing their torpedo tooltips.

Code: [Select]
function makeTorpedoTooltip(torpedo)
    -- create tool tip
    local tooltip = Tooltip()
    tooltip.icon = torpedo.icon

-- title
    local title

local line = TooltipLine(25, 15)
    line.ctext = torpedo.name
    line.ccolor = torpedo.rarity.color
    tooltip:addLine(line)

-- primary stats, one by one
    local fontSize = 14
    local lineHeight = 20

-- rarity name
    local line = TooltipLine(5, 12)
    line.ctext = tostring(torpedo.rarity)
    line.ccolor = torpedo.rarity.color

-- primary stats, one by one
    local fontSize = 14
    local lineHeight = 20

local line = TooltipLine(lineHeight, fontSize)
    line.ltext = "Tech"%_t
    line.rtext = torpedo.tech
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/circuitry.png";
    line.iconColor = iconColor

-- empty line
    tooltip:addLine(TooltipLine(15, 15))

if torpedo.hullDamage > 0 and torpedo.damageVelocityFactor == 0 then
        line.ltext = "Damage"%_t
        line.rtext = toReadableValue(round(torpedo.hullDamage), "")
        line.icon = "data/textures/icons/screen-impact.png";
    elseif torpedo.damageVelocityFactor > 0 then
        line.ltext = "Hull Damage"%_t
        line.rtext = "up to ${damage}"%_t % {damage = toReadableValue(round(torpedo.maxVelocity * torpedo.damageVelocityFactor), "")}
    end

if torpedo.shieldDamage > 0 and torpedo.shieldDamage ~= torpedo.hullDamage then
        line.ltext = "Shield Damage"%_t
        line.rtext = toReadableValue(round(torpedo.shieldDamage), "")
    end

-- empty line

-- maneuverability
    line.ltext = "Maneuverability"%_t
    line.rtext = round(torpedo.turningSpeed, 2)
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/dodge.png";

line.ltext = "Speed"%_t
    line.rtext = round(torpedo.maxVelocity * 10.0)
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/afterburn.png";

if torpedo.acceleration > 0 then
        line.ltext = "Acceleration"%_t
        line.rtext = round(torpedo.acceleration * 10.0)
        line.icon = "data/textures/icons/blaster.png";
    end

line.ltext = "Range"%_t
    line.rtext = "${range} km" % {range = round(torpedo.reach * 10 / 1000, 2)}
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/target-shot.png";

if torpedo.storageEnergyDrain > 0 then
        line.ltext = "Storage Energy"%_t
        line.rtext = toReadableValue(round(torpedo.storageEnergyDrain), "W")
        line.icon = "data/textures/icons/electric.png";
    end

-- empty line

-- size
    line.ltext = "Size"%_t
    line.rtext = round(torpedo.size, 1)
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/missile-pod.png";

-- durability
    line.ltext = "Durability"%_t
    line.rtext = round(torpedo.durability)
    line.icon = "data/textures/icons/health-normal.png";

-- empty line

-- specialties
    local extraLines = 0

if torpedo.damageVelocityFactor > 0 then
        line.ltext = "Damage Dependent on Velocity"%_t

extraLines = extraLines + 1
    end

if torpedo.shieldDeactivation then
        line.ltext = "Briefly Deactivates Shields"%_t

end

if torpedo.energyDrain then
        line.ltext = "Drains Target's Energy"%_t

end

if torpedo.shieldPenetration then
        line.ltext = "Penetrates Shields"%_t

end

if torpedo.shieldAndHullDamage then
        line.ltext = "Damages Both Shield and Hull"%_t

end

if torpedo.storageEnergyDrain > 0 then
        line.ltext = "Requires Energy in Storage"%_t

end

for i = 1, 3 - extraLines do
        -- empty line
    end

return tooltip

end
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10