Author Topic: [Mod] Detailed Turret Tooltips  (Read 74867 times)

lyravega

• View Profile
    • Steam
on: April 26, 2018, 06:57:05 PM
Love the mod however, any chance of adding stats for torpedoes? I know this is a beta feature but still, would be nice to know what I'm dealing with when using torpedoes.

Check this post by Raio_Verusia, he provided a small snippet in the meanwhile.

I guess this mod would need a complete rewrite now that update added dps in tooltips. What devs didn't add though is "dps per slot". Even if you find an awesome turret with 3000 dps with 4 slots, it is worse than 2 turrets of 2000 dps and 2 slots each.

From what I can tell, turret slots are more of a static value, and also a balancing factor for the devs. The more slots that a turret has, the more damage it deals and the higher reach it has. Everything related to the slots are already included in the calculations though. "DPS per slot" could be useful to decide what turret has highest DPS per slot though, I'll keep that in mind when I'm updating the mod.

The official turret tooltip is still not offering separate shield/hull DPS for weapons with shield/hull bonuses, or effective DPS for overheating weapons either.

Actually, the official tooltips show eDPS now. For like 95% of the weapons I checked out (thank you, debug menu), I'm proud to say that my calculations were right on spot. I'm also glad that developers chose to calculate eDPS off of a full cycle as well. However, there are some weird stuff going on which I'm trying to figure out. Such as this, the vanilla tooltip is reporting a DPS of 2218 while my calculations report a DPS of 554.5, and there is a pattern to this issue.

Certain weapons with "Independent Targeting" (such as Railguns and Bolters) multiply their DPS with their weapon count for some reason, and I think it is a bug for the vanilla. The screenshot I linked for example, it is a quad turret; it has 4 weapons and if you multiply my result with 4, you get the vanilla tooltip's result. But I bet it is a bug.

Also, the vanilla "Time until overheated" and "Cooling time" are still inaccurate. What I don't understand is, for a weapon like this for example, the difference between "time until overheated" and my "(Heat) Buildup" is quite different, yet the eDPS result is the same. There should've been a variance, because that difference is enough to push the vanilla eDPS to a much higher value. I think vanilla eDPS does its calculations like I do but for some reason it shows the wrong "time until overheated" values? Dunno, I never trusted that value and did things the hard way anyway :)

As for an official word on this mod, an update is coming, slowly. Since there are many changes, and additions, I'm trying to double check everything, go over my calculations and stuff which is taking time, but to be honest, it takes more time than usual because as my interest has shifted to other games. Still, don't just want to slap the torpedo additions and release an update, and then realize there is a bug that I could've avoided. I don't want to force people visiting this topic daily to see if there is an update, so to speak. If they add Steam Workshop support someday, I'll go with it, but as long as we're doing things on the forums, I'd rather avoid uploading updates as soon as I finish one.

When I have spare time, and not playing another game, I try to work on it. Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not to alter the way the tooltip looks, and leaning on something like a table to display the values and avoid adding more lines on top of more lines. But a table-like look with multiple rows & columns might not look that great, so a bit on the fence about it. Nevertheless, have been trying to learn more about the UI for that case.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:18:37 PM by lyravega »
Detailed Turret Tooltips - mod for all your turret info needs
Compass-like Gate Pixel Icons - unnecessary quality of life improvement

Poke me on Steam for updates

Devious

• Have you seen Rusty?
    • View Profile
    • Rusty's Universe and Community
on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:40 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for all the effort you've already put in the mod, and we certainly appreciate you still continuing it :)

MrMors

• View Profile
on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:27 AM
I made some updates to the script. Due note that a majority of this script is still the same as v24 from lyravega

lyravega I hope you don't mind me re-posting this here. Feel free to incorporate any my changes into your next update.

v24.2 Updates
* Includes core game Torpedo code that Raio_Verusi posted earlier in thread.
* Includes Turret slot size info
* Includes Turret per slot size eDPS/DPS info
* Includes Fighter per volume size eDPS/DPS info

Notes:
* Still using same eDPS/DPS calculations as @lyravega, so concerns about calculations from his last post still exist.

Kampfkrapfn

• View Profile
on: June 06, 2018, 02:21:06 AM
I made some updates to the script. Due note that a majority of this script is still the same as v24 from lyravega

lyravega I hope you don't mind me re-posting this here. Feel free to incorporate any my changes into your next update.

v24.2 Updates

Notes:
* Still using same eDPS/DPS calculations as @lyravega, so concerns about calculations from his last post still exist.

let me throw in an idea/wish: how about adding per-slot-eDPS as sorting option in inventory? is this (im-)possible?

Oldking

• View Profile
on: July 18, 2018, 04:43:05 PM
From what I can tell, turret slots are more of a static value, and also a balancing factor for the devs. The more slots that a turret has, the more damage it deals and the higher reach it has. Everything related to the slots are already included in the calculations though. "DPS per slot" could be useful to decide what turret has highest DPS per slot though, I'll keep that in mind when I'm updating the mod.
Slots are not static, especially now that they included low slot number in higher level sectors. In fact slot numbers is the single most important factor deciding (fighter) damage when creating from a turret, it divides by slots and multiplies by .3
I would highly suggest it to be included, you could have a 10k dps weapon producing 200dps fighters after burst fire calculations with a 2k dps weapon producing 600dps fighters.
As of now the DPS tooltip in vanilla only serves as a very inaccurate estimation.

Pasukaru

• View Profile
on: July 22, 2018, 03:15:43 PM
---I'm stupid---
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:20:46 PM by Pasukaru »

Raio_Verusia

• View Profile
on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:24 AM

v24.2 Updates

Notes:

I haven't played in a while and the torpedo code doesn't seem to work for me currently in the lastest stable branch build, unless I've forgotten how I did it last time. I will download your version and see, I was talking to Lyra when we worked on that snippet of code.

Edit: By the way, don't be shy, if you have Steam go ahead and have a chat with Lyravega if it concerns their mod, like I did. They're quite friendly and helpful.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:40:27 AM by Raio_Verusia »

MassCraxx

• View Profile
on: November 28, 2018, 11:21:00 PM

Notes:

I updated the script some more, the same applies. Tested with Avorion v0.19.1 r12932.

v0.024.3
  • added the coaxial attribute
  • made torpedo tooltip header consistent to turrets and fighters
  • added the vanilla dps value as "Raw DPS" for comparing values with vanilla tooltip users
  • rearranged a lot of stuff for easier comparison
  • optimized text color alternation between lines
  • disabled per size calculation for fighters by default (since imo it does not matter, as long as your hangar is big enough). This can easily be reenabled by setting the constant showFighterDpsPerSize in L29 to true

Turret Tooltip Preview
Spoiler: show

Fighter Tooltip Preview

Torpedo Tooltip Preview
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:34:30 AM by MassCraxx »

Umbral Reaver

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
on: February 28, 2019, 12:07:02 PM
I had a go at trying to update this to the latest version (with the fancy new mining/salvaging lasers) and it turns out that maybe actual knowledge of lua is required. I thought I could just identify the patterns in where things should fit in the code and just slide it in. :I

Mp70

• View Profile
on: March 20, 2019, 06:14:12 PM
Small update for new mining/salvaging turrets.

Updated  from MassCraxx a few posts up.

MassCraxx

• View Profile
on: May 22, 2019, 05:00:53 PM
Fixed some icons as they were missing in 0.22

lyravega

• View Profile
    • Steam
on: May 25, 2019, 10:11:58 PM
I gave MassCraxx my permission to maintain the mod.
Detailed Turret Tooltips - mod for all your turret info needs
Compass-like Gate Pixel Icons - unnecessary quality of life improvement

Poke me on Steam for updates

MassCraxx

• View Profile
on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:12 AM
The mod will be continued on the Steam Workshop.