Author Topic: DRM-free version (Gog/Humble/...)  (Read 463 times)

LavenderBites

• View Profile
on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:50 AM
Hello!

Long story short, I finally decided to ditch Steam. Out of the few games I rather miss playing (and couldn't find on Gog/Humble/website DL รก la Factorio), Avorion is one. I did some searching on the forum but failed to find any conclusive answers - apologies if I missed something and am asking old questions.

But here goes:

Are there plans to make Avorion available outside Steam (or more generically, outside any forced platform/framework) at any point in time?

(More specifically I'd love a standalone Linux version, I don't know if the Steam variant was just a Wine wrapper but were that the case I'd assume I could manage that on my own for a standalone .exe :) )

Hugs to you all!

LavenderBites

• View Profile
on: October 06, 2018, 03:10:26 PM
Still interested!

'No' is an ok answer, I'd just like to know. :-)

(I know there are versions available out there but I'm looking for something officially endorsed.)

Hugs and love and caffeine and things~~

Devious

• Have you seen Rusty?
    • View Profile
    • Rusty's Universe and Community
on: October 06, 2018, 04:45:53 PM
As far as I know it's not in the pipeline,
the whole multiplayer aspect uses steam authentication so it is unlikely that they will get rid of it soon.

They'd have to build a framework that offers the same capabilities and security that steam authentication has, and make it work together. That's something they don't have the capacity nor knowledge to do so as far as I know, and they are very unlikely to hire outside help otherwise they would've scaled up their development by now.

LavenderBites

• View Profile
on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:32 PM
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense.

Personally I would be more than happy to be able to play offline (or be able to run a low-sec server) but... I realize one person does not a business case make.

koonschi

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Avorion
on: October 20, 2018, 11:12:56 AM
Mostly what Devious said, but it's not a networking development issue, we already have our own networking in place. The bigger issue is that with ie. GOG we'd have to reimplement their version of the remaining Steam API, considering friend lists, server lists, achievements, update rollouts, etc. for a second time. Right now we've got a system in place that works, and at least while we're still rolling out regular updates we're not doing so on 2 different platforms.
#define TRUE FALSE // happy debugging suckers

If you need help, please post in the forum, don't PM me. If there's something that only I can help you with, contact me via mail.

LavenderBites

• View Profile
on: October 22, 2018, 08:17:28 PM
Fair enough, thanks for the detailed answer. Perhaps sometime in the distant future, then. :) happy devving for the meanwhile!

Hugs n stuff,
L

Valck

• View Profile
on: December 06, 2018, 02:34:32 PM
Just chiming in here to voice my support for a DRM-free version of the game.
I do "own" it on Steam, but I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy another copy if it were available on say, itch.io or GOG. Make that two copies if it were available on both ;)

EDIT:
Also a huge "thank you" for supporting Linux! Go Boxelware!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:39:04 PM by Valck »