Author Topic: News: Upcoming Update  (Read 1098 times)

koonschi

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Avorion
on: October 24, 2018, 05:46:38 PM
Date: October 24th, 2018

Upcoming Changes to AI
Hey everybody, this is a quick update to what we're working on right now and what you can be looking forward to! In general, the next update will be about AI improvements and improvements to controlling your fleet in various sectors.

Pathfinding + Flying
We're improving the pathfinding and flying AI, which means that ships will fly their full speed when they can, and they will also maneuver asteroid fields a lot smarter. This will also make the game a little harder, because you won't be able to fly away from enemies as easy as before.

Mining + Salvaging
We're making improvements to the AI considering mining and salvaging. So far, miners and salvagers have been behaving a little weird for lots of people. There's a simple reason for that: Mining is just "attacking" an asteroid. This led to some weird behaviors since ships were also trying to move dynamically, which is not necessary, because they don't have to avoid being shot by asteroids. We're now implementing a separate AI for harvesting, ie. mining and salvaging, which will improve things a lot.

Inter-Sector-Communication
This change will hopefully make lots of modders happy: Over the last weeks we've been laying the ground work for calling functions and executing code between sectors. Scripts from one sector will now be able to call functions in scripts present in another sector. There are a few limitations to this due to how the Avorion engine is structured, but in general this will allow your scripts to easily talk to each other even when they're in different sectors. Which brings us to...

Remote Commands & Queues
The above groundwork will enable one vastly important feature: Inter-Sector commands for ships! You'll be able to command ships over the galaxy map even when they're not in the same sector as you. But we're not stopping there! We're also adding queues of commands, so you'll be able to command your ships to fly to one sector, mine asteroids or attack enemies, and then jump to yet another sector. And you'll be able to loop these commands as well.

Analytics Data
To be honest, we don't know how the majority of players play the game. This is a big issue when it comes to making decisions about new features, balancing and content. In order to improve this, we're adding completely anonymous analytics to find out how you guys play the game, and things like where most players die or how much money is actually made by combat, trade, etc.

Mac OS Release
We're currently preparing the Mac Version of Avorion for Release. While we won't list it for Mac immediately in the store, we'll be releasing the Mac Builds for download soon, so everybody who has a Mac will be able to download the game. We're asking everyone of you to please download and try out the game on Mac, and please report any issues you're having!

There is no time frame yet as for a beta release. Progress is good though, we're done with nearly everything except for queuing commands and the new (scriptable) UI for the galaxy map. We're hoping to be able to release to the beta branch in the next 2 weeks!

Until then, have fun and leave us your thoughts here!
#define TRUE FALSE // happy debugging suckers

If you need help, please post in the forum, don't PM me. If there's something that only I can help you with, contact me via mail.

Kamo

• Cuddles float better in space~
    • View Profile
on: October 24, 2018, 08:54:40 PM

Quote from: koonschi
We're now implementing a separate AI for harvesting, ie. mining and salvaging, which will improve things a lot.
Yaaay ! Return to Survival :D !

The above groundwork will enable one vastly important feature: Inter-Sector commands for ships!
At last ! It'll probably be called "the awesome update" by most players 8) !

We're also adding queues of commands, so you'll be able to command your ships to fly to one sector, mine asteroids or attack enemies, and then jump to yet another sector. And you'll be able to loop these commands as well.
True patrolling ships ! And fully automated mining as the asteroids respawn :)...

new (scriptable) UI for the galaxy map
Woah ! ⸍⚙̥ꇴ⚙̥⸌
Colorize messages, with the colors of materials (from wiki) !
Ir #FFB380 Ti #FFFFFF Na #4DFF4D Tr #4D9AFF Xa #FFFF4D Og #FF8133 Av #FF2626

Rinart73

• Discord: Rinart73#7304
    • View Profile
on: October 24, 2018, 08:55:33 PM
Great news! Just one question: Is there any chance for an API improvement so the ShipAI() will affect turrets in Auto/Defend modes? It's sad to mark entity as friendly and then see as Auto/Defend turrets demolish it. I mean, this update is going to be AI-related so.. maybe?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:24:10 PM by Rinart73 »

Hammelpilaw

• View Profile
    • Scrap Yard - Avofactory
on: October 24, 2018, 09:18:38 PM
Holy... this is awesome. The inter sector communication, remote commands and queue absolutely kicks it all out  ;D Improved AI sounds also really good.
Scrap Yard Galaxy
My mods and tools

If you find an bug in my mods please contact me. My GitLab Account

Ravien

• View Profile
on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:39 AM
This sounds amazing! Looking forward to it!

BloodGodsButcher

• View Profile
on: October 25, 2018, 02:30:41 PM
Exited for this update, primarily so I can build my SYSTEM STRIPPING FLEETS.

The thought of a player mining an area in peace only to notice  another player's 5 ship fleet of miners with high tier mining fighters warp in keeps making me grin. 

While I'm 100% thankful for this update and the news for it, any info on boarding or is that a "way down the road" update? 
Mister Butcher is my father's name, call me Blood

CombatWombat

• View Profile
on: October 26, 2018, 01:51:04 AM
Honestly the AI needs to have some adjustable settings on a per-ship basis.   The desired behavior for a mining ship is completely different from a massive capital ship vs a small frigate.

It could be as simple as a selection of a few selectable AI behavior options, like:
Under Enemy Fire: Evasive / Hold-Position / Flee
Enemy Military Vessels: Attack / ReturnFire / Ignore
Enemy Civilian Vessels: Attack / ReturnFire / Ignore
Enemy Stations: Attack / ReturnFire / Ignore
etc...

I would *really* like a system like From The Depths has where behaviors can be set very detailed based on desired engagement range, broadside orientation, which weapons to engage with, etc.  I think some "Logic Blocks" that could be added to ships and configured would really take this game to another level.  The current way AI and weapons interact feels extremely limiting.  Currently AI ships just  derp around in circles nomatter how I arrange the weapons and/or weapon types and I'm not sure that just adding "hold position" to mining craft will fix that.

Also there are way too many subforums here for the amount of traffic.... 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:35:03 AM by CombatWombat »

BenWinston

• View Profile
on: November 03, 2018, 02:46:35 PM
After only as week of waiting for this, I find I am getting impatient for it. I do hope the new mining/salvaging AI will work much like the 'Carrier Commander' mod did. Having to reselect every little bit and piece of a ship during a salvage is for the birds! Same with having to select a new rock to mine after finishing. Area harvesting will be a very nice addition; I just hope it's part of the update.

BenWinston

• View Profile
on: November 06, 2018, 08:46:42 PM
Not a nag, this is a simple request for information.

How is the next Beta release shaping up? Are you still on track for a release tomorrow? (Two weeks from your last posted message that said 'a couple of weeks') If it's going to take longer than it will, I would just like to know how things are going. Thanks for taking the time to read/reply to this.

Hammelpilaw

• View Profile
    • Scrap Yard - Avofactory
on: November 10, 2018, 09:00:29 AM
What you announced here brings me to another thing that may be improved to make this update more comfortable: alive sectors per player.

When you play on a server with default settings, you have 5 alive sectors. When you have many sectors with mines, factories and ships, remote commands would not work for most of your stuff anyways, because the sector is not active. Espacially with the mines its hard, because you got many sectors with 3 stations, so this sectors are active most times and other sectors with one ship are not.

Two suggestions to improve:
  • Give the user some output, wich of his sectors are active
  • Give the user control over active sectors, like adding a setting to ships and stations, how important they are to be kept alive
Also it may be possible to increase the amount of active sectors per player when there wouldn't be performance issues:
Experiences from my current server looks like as it does not hurt the server to keep up more sectors when weak update is active. The problem seems to be to activate 10 or more sectors at the same time when a player logs in, it is causing serverwide lags.

I think improving this would make this update even more interesting.
Scrap Yard Galaxy
My mods and tools

If you find an bug in my mods please contact me. My GitLab Account

Firea

• View Profile
on: November 11, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
Thank god. The AI really needs some changes. But there's still one thing that I would like to know. Will it be possible to loop commands? For example, tell the AI to repeat going in a circle around a station or something like that? That would be really nice...

BenWinston

• View Profile
on: November 11, 2018, 05:32:15 PM
Personally, I'd just like to wait and see what new changes are made before suggesting new ones. it may well be that what you guys are asking for is actually part of the communications thing that was mentioned. When we're close to an update like we are now, there is always speculation and suggested improvements tossed out. We have to remember this is a small dev team, working very hard to keep all of us happy and 'well fed' with updates and bug fixes.

Besides. wouldn't your suggestions be better suited for the "Suggestions' thread? it might get more attention there.

unbekannt1984

• View Profile
on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:47 PM
Hi,

any updates on the Update?

Well, I can't wait for the new mining and salvaging AI and remote (inter-sector) commands. Is everything still work in progress, or might it be possible to release a few (finished) features to the beta-branch, so we can start testing?