Author Topic: Friend/Foe-Detection for (some) weapons?  (Read 131 times)

unbekannt1984

• View Profile
on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:30 PM
Hi,

what would you think about a friend/foe-detection for some weapons? Well, I thought about Rocket-Launchers, it would be nice, if a Rocket that is about to hit an allied-faction ship/station would think about self-destruction...

I can't think about other weapons then rockets and maybe torpedoes, that could use a mechanic like this...

cepheni

• Developer
    • View Profile
on: December 05, 2018, 03:35:58 PM
That would be funny :D The first step to a self-thinking AI.
I don't think that we would ever implement something like this, though. Friendly fire isn't a side-effect, it was actually planned to be in the game.

BlackGazebo

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2018, 05:58:19 PM
I don't think that we would ever implement something like this, though. Friendly fire isn't a side-effect, it was actually planned to be in the game.
Kind of my thought too - hard-coding trigger discipline is boring.  If you don't want to accidentally shoot friendlies, then make sure they aren't in the line of fire.

unbekannt1984

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:40 PM
Hi,

Kind of my thought too - hard-coding trigger discipline is boring.  If you don't want to accidentally shoot friendlies, then make sure they aren't in the line of fire.
could you tell that my AI-captains and auto-turrets, too?

Friendly fire isn't a side-effect, it was actually planned to be in the game.
Yes, I don't want that feature on Plasma-Turrets or Chainguns... But Rockets (especially Seeker-Rockets) should behave a little bit different :)

BlackGazebo

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2018, 10:38:39 PM
It sounds like the AI could use a little work, if that's the case.