Author Topic: Any way to remove rift expansion?  (Read 752 times)

Varthar

• View Profile
on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:52 AM
Hi all, I've been searching but I can't seem to find anything, so I ask: Is there any way at all to stop the rifts from expanding? A mod or a way to edit server files or something? I dont mean removing all rifts or the ring in the center, although I may settle with that.

I know its a cool feature and makes sense since the idea is to push into the middle, but mostly I just play to chill, I spend lots of time just moving about, building unpaused, etc., and I've read I can cheat some avorion in and move over the rifts and get into the middle (where I guess rifts dont expand?), but that's still a bit anti-chilling for me, and leaves a smaller playfield in the end.
I have no idea if the rifts expand in creative mode, but that wouldn't be what I'm looking for either.

If anyone knows of a way to deal with this, I'd appreciate it, thanks for reading anyway.

TESL4

• View Profile
on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:55 PM
Wait the rifts expand?  How long does it take to envelope the outer regions?  I didn't know this was a thing?

SneakyTacts

• View Profile
on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:04 PM
Do the rifts actually consume sectors over time? I haven’t noticed that, so I don’t think that’s true. Maybe you worry that the map will become crowded from expansion? Yeah, I don’t believe that happens. But if you don’t like how many rifts already exist, perhaps someone knows how to edit sectors.

I think that you might be confused from the NPC’s dialog. When they claim that the rifts have been expanding, that’s probably only a part of the story over hundreds of years and not happening as you play the game.

Varthar

• View Profile
on: March 20, 2019, 07:49:25 PM
Yeah the rifts expand, I "thought" I saw some friendly sectors disappear into it, I have marked a couple now but haven't had time to confirm it myself, but I've read in plenty of posts that it happens, I don't know how long it takes, a hella long time for sure, but it would still be nice to just completely forget about it.

Sir Charles

• Global Moderator
  • Not staff, just helping to keep the forums clean.
    • View Profile
on: March 20, 2019, 08:24:12 PM
I think I red an answer from a dev somewhere that rifts do not expand, but I am not quite sure, so don't take me by my word...
Whatever you type, never forget:
Nobody rises up in the morning like "Today Ima gonna do a really bad job!"

SneakyTacts

• View Profile
on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:15 PM
I searched Google in typing, "Avorion do rifts expand", and there are multiple people who claim that they do expand. One person (MetalX) is absolutely sure of it. Read his last post here:
https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php?topic=1674.0
I can say for absolute certain that rifts in space DO definitely grow, consuming the galaxy.  Of that there is absolutely zero question or argument.  I have had quite a few systems now that have been consumed by rifts.  I even have a wormhole entrance/exit I once used frequently that got consumed by the rift.  And there are no less than two factions have their prime sectors now that have been consumed as well, I mark each one with a note as I discover each faction.

It may not have been a big deal, really, because I can work around it, expanding my hyperdrive jump reach.  But, uh, I got to thinking, will it ever stop?  That is the only question here at this point.  Does it stop?  Or will it grow to consume the entire galaxy?  ANd I have actually only been playing this particular save for 2 days now.  I am trying to imagine what it will look like a month from now with regular daily long term play...  Could our galaxies have finite lifespans?
Another person (MrVorgra) in that post claims that rifts do not expand, although the seed of a galaxy unintentionally changes, and therefor rifts move:
In rare cases where for some unknown reason your Game seed changes by a little bit and they can move a little bit, but they are not coded to actively move and relocate.
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
I've just searched for "Avorion do rifts grow" and it seems that someone (Glissa) noticed moving rifts but realized that their seed changed somehow. Koonschi replied and confirmed that seeds can relocate rifts:
https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php?topic=1225.0
Glissa:
Just noticed the rifts in my save have moved significantly. Explored systems are in rifts now which you can only get into through gates.
Glissa, again:
Apparently, the seed and difficulty had been changed but all other settings had not. Not sure how that might've happened.

Cheers.
Koonschi:
Changing the seed changes the rifts.
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
After all of this, I suspect that member Varthar's seed has changed. Varthar: do many of your rifts appear to be in drastically different locations? Also, Sir Charles must have heard correctly because it seems that the expansion/movement of rifts is not an intentional feature of Avorion. Can a developer confirm that rifts do not change and grow slightly over time and that all observed changes are a result of seed changes? And what causes seeds to change?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:32:14 PM by SneakyTacts »

cepheni

• Developer
    • View Profile
on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:52 AM
The rifts don't change during playtime. The structure is generated on first start-up and doesn't change after that.

Sir Charles

• Global Moderator
  • Not staff, just helping to keep the forums clean.
    • View Profile
on: March 21, 2019, 01:03:49 PM
Allright, we got it in white on black/blue now... Thanks for the answer!
Whatever you type, never forget:
Nobody rises up in the morning like "Today Ima gonna do a really bad job!"

Varthar

• View Profile
on: March 21, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
Allright I'm actually glad I was in the wrong then, thank you all for the answers.